WordPress or Site Build It! - Which Option is Best?
When I created this website in 2002, the best way to build a website was to learn HTML or buy software like Dreamweaver.
That's how I built this site.
But today, times have changed. WordPress has revolutionized the way people create websites and you no longer need to immerse yourself in code or buy software to build and design a fabulous looking website!
Dreamweaver is still a viable option if you want a simple, static site like this and don't mind learning some HTML and CSS basics, but the average person usually prefers one of the methods mentioned below...
Quick and Easy Route With WordPress
If you are on a budget and need a quick way create your site, then WordPress is the way to go. No design experience needed. Just pick a template and go. Of course, you can customize it as much as you need.
By default, WordPress publishes your content by date, displaying your content from newest to oldest and by the category you file it in. But of course, you can alter the display by configuring different options.
To launch a WordPress website, you need a domain (YourWebsite.com) and host. Learn how to get started and save on your domain name here.
Here's a video that shows you how to build a website using WordPress.
Site Build It! (SBI!)
Site Build It! is a system that comes with a website builder and will teach you how to create a complete web business -- not just a website.
Your domain name, hosting, website building, marketing guidance, forum support and other tools all come with your subscription to SBI!.
SBI! is best for simple, content sites. So if you wanted to create an affiliate website where you write content and make money by referring people to other products and services (affiliate marketing) then SBI! is ideal for that kind of site.
It's not, however, great for complex sites that involve social media functionality, user logins, communities, etc.
There are some core differences between SBI! and WordPress and both have their pluses and minuses. I'll explain below...WordPress Pros
- Awesome template designs (many are free)
- Drag and drop features make updating parts of your site a breeze
- Plugins available to enhance the overall functionality
- Many website applications/website add-ons developed today are already WordPress compatible
- So many people use WordPress now that it's easy to get support and answers to questions
- Template manipulation and customization may be tricky unless you have a theme that is very customizable
- Since it's written in PHP, there are security risks that you don't have with static websites (Fortunately there are many security plugins to help with this.)
- No guidance for making money online
- Provides a complete system of tools for building and learning how to promote your site
- Forum Support that provides help and support from other successful SBI! users
- Money Back Guarantee
- Great for people who need hand-holding and step-by-step guidance
- Awesome security since their platform is unique and not easily penetrated by hackers
- Brainstorm It! tool to help you choose a "profitable" topic
- Template designs are mediocre at best
- No WordPress compatibility (must purchase another host if you want to use WordPress)
- More expensive than average hosting ($29/month or $299/yr)
- You can create and use your own design template, but software or knowledge of HTML/CSS is required
The Bottom Line
I have used both platforms to create my websites and you can see my SBI! site here and one of my WordPress sites here. I make money with both sites. What really matters is what's best for YOUR needs because they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
The main reason I purchased SBI! was to test it out and use it as a case study here on this site. Even though I rarely update it, it still does well all things considered.
If you need a more thorough, comprehensive overview of other types of websites and features, check out my website overview page.
If you liked this, please share. Thanks!